Here is video of President Barack Obama’s statement at the White House today, where he called on Congress to support his desire to raise taxes. At the same time, the man who has already been President nearly four years says his number one priority is “jobs and growth.”
Obama took no questions at the White House event, and NBC News’ Chuck Todd said Obama had invited guests to the event in the East Room and had placed them strategically between himself and the press so that the media would even have a hard time shouting questions at him. Todd noted that Obama’s unwillingness to talk to the media did not follow the precedent of previous Presidents following re-election, and pointed out that House Speaker John Boehner did hold a Press Conference today.
Obama said he would meet with House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid next week to talk about how to avoid the looming “Fiscal Cliff.”
So when will President Obama hold a formal press conference?— Roger Simon (@politicoroger) November 9, 2012
Bush gave a press conference after reelection, Clinton did too, and Reagan. Obama gave a statement with no questions.— Andrew Kaczynski (@BuzzFeedAndrew) November 9, 2012
This gem comes from an extensive interview Mitt Romney did with NBC News Anchor Brian Williams. After asking multiple questions designed to put Romney on the defensive, Williams then quotes an unnamed source as saying Romney is going to pick “an incredibly boring white guy” for his VP. Williams asked Romney if this was true. Romney’s quick response is priceless:
“You told me you were not available.”
Williams knew he had been had and responded, “Touche, Governor.”
Here is complete video of an extensive interview Gov. Mitt Romney did in London with NBC News Anchor Brian Williams.
Williams demeanor with Romney is quite a contrast to the starry-eyed wonder he always displays when interviewing Barack Obama:
BREAKING: NBC News is projecting Republican Gov. Scott Walker the winner in the Recall Election. . . . With 19% of the vote in, Walker has a huge 61%-39% lead over Democrat Tom Barrett. That margin will undoubtedly narrow, but if NBC is calling it for Walker, you can be fairly certain he is going to win!
Greta: This is a BLOWOUT!— Right Scoop (@trscoop) June 6, 2012
A lot of ppl committedjournalistic malpractice 2day–confidently projecting razor thin margins, late Dem surge. Bunk.Walker’s courage won!— Laura Ingraham (@IngrahamAngle) June 6, 2012
The same ppl who heralded the recall as the start of a new era when they started this process now claim it has no nat’l importance— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) June 6, 2012
ABC, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News have all now called it for Walker.— Andrew Kaczynski (@BuzzFeedAndrew) June 6, 2012
Fox News calls WI for Scott Walker. #wirecall— Stephen Hayes (@stephenfhayes) June 6, 2012
NBC News declares Scott Walker the projected winner in #WIrecall— Reuters Politics (@ReutersPolitics) June 6, 2012
Reporting on violent protests in Afghanistan following accidental Quran burnings for Monday’s NBC Today, correspondent Atia Abawi declared the incident “…follows a long line of insults that has intensified the public outrage towards the U.S., including last year’s intentional burning of a Koran by a pastor in Florida and the video of U.S. Marines urinating on the corpses of Taliban fighters.”
Compare that declaration to how Abawi portrayed Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai as the peace-keeper amid the crisis: “Karzai once again tried to diffuse the anger, saying, ‘Our emotions were shown all over the country regarding this, it is time now to return to calm and keep it.'” There was no mention of Karzai’s demand that the soldiers responsible for destroying the religious texts should be put on trial and punished.
Politico is reporting that Mitt Romney is refusing to take down the ad against Newt Gingrich that consists entirely of a 1997 Tom Brokaw News broadcast reporting sanctions against Gingrich for ethics violations. Brokaw and NBC have asked them to take the ad down:
POLITICO: Eric Fehrnstrom, Mitt Romney’s senior adviser, told reporters after a rally in Panama City, Fla., that the campaign has received NBC’s letter complaining about its recent ad featuring a 1997 broadcast but does not intend to take it down.
“We just received the letter. We are reviewing it. But we believe it falls within fair use,” Fehrnstrom said. “We didn’t take the entire broadcast, we just took the first 30 seconds of it.” . . . .
UPDATE: HotAirPundit has a great post showing multiple Democrat National Committee videos attacking Mitt Romney that uses NBC News footage. Where’s the outrage about that?
NBC News and Tom Brokaw have asked the Mitt Romney Campaign to take down an ad they began running today that uses an NBC News broadcast from 1997 to attack Newt Gingrich. The entire ad consists of footage showing Tom Brokaw reporting on Newt Gingrich being sanctioned for ethics violations:
POLITICO: Via POLITICO’s Reid Epstein, NBC News and Tom Brokaw are loudly objecting to the Mitt Romney campaign’s use of footage from the 1990s in an ad blasting Newt Gingrich over his House ethics charges.
Brokaw, whose statement noted he was speaking on his behalf, said, “I am extremely uncomfortable with the extended use of my personal image in this political ad. I do no want my role as a journalist compromised for political gain by any campaign.”
“The NBC Legal Department has written a letter to the campaign asking for the removal of all NBC News material from their campaign ads,” NBC News said in a statement, which added, “Similar requests have gone out to other campaigns that have inappropriately used Nightly News, Meet the Press, Today and MSNBC material.” . . . Read More
They didn’t give him much time, and NBC News anchor Brian Williams quickly changed the subject, but NBC News Military Analyst Retired Col. Jack Jacobs was clearly not happy with President Obama’s plan to gut the U.S. Military. Jacobs reacted to Obama’s plan to eliminate more than 100,000 U.S. active duty troops – 1 out of every 7 U.S. active duty soldiers:
“I’m not convinced we’re going to be able to do what we need to do with that small an Army.”
Here is the NBC Nightly News lead story last night on the “Weinergate” Scandal. Amazingly, anchor Brian Williams characterized it this way: “The age of over-sharing has claimed another victim. . . . “
Somehow, I don’t think this would have been the lead sentence had this same scandal been about a Republican.
Get ready! Former First Lady Nancy Reagan announced today that the first 2012 GOP Presidential Debate will be held at the Ronald Reagan Library in the Spring of 2011 – and will be co-sponsored by Politico and NBC:
POLITICO: Former first lady Nancy Reagan announced plans Thursday to invite the leading Republican contenders to the first debate of the presidential primary season, to be held at her late husband’s presidential library and co-hosted by POLITICO and NBC News.
The debate, sponsored by the Reagan Presidential Foundation, will be held at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in Simi Valley, Calif., during the spring of 2011. NBC News will serve as the television partner for the debate while POLITICO is the online content partner.
The debate will be moderated by POLITICO and NBC News.
The foundation plans to sponsor a second debate on the eve of Super Tuesday during the height of the primary campaign. Media partnership for that event will be announced sometime in 2011.
“Ronnie would be thrilled that the road to the White House will begin at his presidential library,” the former first lady said in a statement. “I look forward to welcoming and watching the top candidates debate the issues next spring.” . . . . . Read More
That means that within five months, we will be in the full swing of the 2012 GOP battle for the nomination. I would guess that most of the major candidates are not going to want to miss out on this debate hosted by Nancy Reagan, and held at President Reagan’s Library. I would suspect we will begin to see candidates announcing their candidacy in January and February 2011 – if not before. We’re barely past the Midterms, and the wheels are already turning on the 2012 Nomination race!
EXIT QUESTION: Does “NBC News” include MSNBC “talent” like Chris Matthews, who moderated a debate back in 2007 that included this cheap shot gotcha question to Sen. Fred Thompson, hoping he would not know who the Prime Minster of Canada was (He knew!):